Girl Reporter

Girl Reporter

Sunday, October 3, 2010

The Words of the Prophets by Belladonna

My friend, Belladonna, asked me to put her poem up here. She does not have her own website. I am a poet too, sometimes, but I don't understand this one. She says "If you don't get it, you don't get it." Well, I guess that's me. If anybody does get it, please leave me a comment. Thank you! Squeeky, Girl Reporter

The Words of the Prophets
by Belladonna

The Subway Walls fell.
Time-ravished and Forsaken.
Their Words ground from Ashes
Tattooed now, on my knuckles
In Black Ink.

Clawed across my back
With Green Angel Wings.
Painted between my thighs
In Magenta, Tear Drops
Foretelling Abandoned Hope.

Penned to my breasts, Orange Julia
Forever Tempts Heliconius Sappho,
While arms, in the forms of Dragons,
Contest the Gothic Cross
And a Dark Solitary Abomination.

The Words of the Prophets.
Carved now upon my Self.
Consecrated in Oil,
Blessed by Razors,
And Wed with a Barbed Wire Ring.

2 comments:

  1. Guess it's referencing Sounds of Silence by Simon and Garfunkel -- "the words of the prophets are written on the subway walls, tenement halls, echoing (?) the sounds of silence." Maybe it means that an increasingly incoherent society that stifles individual expression has finally produced silenced people who no longer communicate through words and thought, but by painting on and cuttine themselves.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you!!! That song is on the Watchmen movie. I will listen to it again. Belladonna finally told me it was her tattoos, but she didn't tell me about the song. I knew she was holding something back.

    Squeeky
    Girl Reporter

    ReplyDelete